Thursday, June 2, 2011

Friday I'm in Love

"Friday I'm in Love" will feature an inspirational song of the week that has had some impact on a poem I have written. I will encourage my readers to find a song that has some sort of meaning to them and use it in a creative writing piece. I'm not advocating plagiarism in any way. Rather, use the song's lyrics to help guide imagery, metaphor, etc.

For instance, this week, my song will be "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure. And every Friday from here on out, I will post a different song that has inspired me and then share the poem I have written as a result.

In "Friday I'm in Love", Robert Smith (lead singer of The Cure) deals with the trials and tribulations of the week. Most of his troubles seem to stem from a love that has gone sour, making his weeks unbearably insufferable. Friday, however, is the day he realizes he is probably better off without her, and celebrates.

So if I were to write a poem with this as my inspiration, I would probably start with the theme of "lost love" or "reveling in isolation". Similar to Robert Smith, I would keep my writing playful, light, and somewhat quixotic.

Put all this together, and we have a lightly humorous and idealistic haiku I shall call:

Tomorrow Eats Today

Here lies the black rose,
dead petals dying softly;
life begins anew.

There you have it; give it a try. Don't feel obligated to limit yourself to just a haiku either. Really explore the inner depths of the song you have chosen and bring it to life in your own creative way.

3 comments:

  1. I have been in a haiku frenzy this week. Like thus:


    you should write your dream
    and decide whether or not
    you want to do it.

    I love the music theme. That's what I'm doing for mine. I am going to post my daily earworm (a song that will not leave your head and comes from nowhere). I wake with an internal jukebox that is totaly unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Cure as your inspiration to write your Haiku Matt. Your poetic example mirrors Friday I'm in Love in three short lines. You move gracefully from an image of a dead black rose to refreshed new life, just as Smith moved past his heart break to celebration. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both, i appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete